Submitted by: Deborah D. Stanleystanleyd@amel.tds.net
Generation No. 1
1. JOHN1 WOODSON was born 1586 in Dorsetshire, England, and died April 18, 1644 in Fleur de Hundred, on James River, VA. He married SARAH WINSTON 1619 in England.
Notes From "Adventurers of Purse and Person"
JOHN WOODSON and his wife Sarah came to VA, 1619, in the George and settled at Flowerdew Hundred, known by Feb. 1624/5, when the muster was taken, as Peirsey's Hundred. They had been fellow passengers on the ship with Governor Sir George Yeardley and his wife Temperance Flowerdew, Lady Yeardley. No further documentary evidence has been found relating to them until 1660. a family account written about 1785 by Charles Woodson (1711-~1795), son of Tarleton Woodson, however, survives and supplies details which link the first generations of Woodsons and Robert Woodson, John Woodson, Senr., and John Woodson, Junr." who were among the tithables at Curles, 1679.
Tradition states that John Woodson was killed in the Indian massacre of 18 April 1644. His children were very young and Mrs. Sarah Woodson soon remarried (2) ___ Dunwell, who died leaving her with a daughter Elizabeth, and (3) ___ Johnson. As a widow again she left a combination inventory and nuncupative will which was recorded 17 Jan 1660/1. This made bequests to John Woodson, Robert Woodson, Deborah Woodson (apparently under age) and Elizabeth Dunwell (under age). John Woodson was the implied executor.
The family record of 1785, with no evidence to the contrary presented during two centuries, has posited this descent: issue: John, Robert, Deborah, left a cow and a feather bed by her mother, not mentioned in the 1785 account.
Children of John Woodson and Sarah Winston are:
2. i. ROBERT2 WOODSON, b. 1634, Jamestown, Prince George County, Virginia; d. 1716, Fleur de Hundred, Henrico County, Virginia; Stepchild.
ii. JOHN WOODSON, JR..
iii. DEBORAH WOODSON.
Generation No. 2
2. ROBERT2 WOODSON (JOHN1) was born 1634 in Jamestown, Prince George County, Virginia, and died 1716 in Fleur de Hundred, Henrico County, Virginia. He married ELIZABETH FERRIS 1651 in Henrico county, VA, daughter of Richard Ferris.
ROBERT WOODSON deposed, June 1680,that he was "46 years of age or thereabouts," and, 1 June 1696, that he was aged about 61. He married Elizabeth Ferris, daughter of Richard Ferris. On 21 Oct 1687 Robert Woodson, Richard Ferris and three others patented 1780 acres on White Oak Swamp in Varina Parish and the same day he, John Woodson, Sr., and two others patented 470 acres, also in Henrico county. He held 1157 acres in Henrico County, 1704, and died after 1 Oct 1707.
From "Adventurers of Purse and Person"
Children of Robert Woodson and Elizabeth Ferris are:
3. i. JOHN3 WOODSON.
ii. ROBERT WOODSON, JR., b. 1658, Henrico county, VA; d. 1715, Henrico county, VA.
iii. RICHARD WOODSON.
iv. JOSEPH WOODSON.
v. BENJAMIN WOODSON.
vi. SARAH WOODSON.
vii. ELIZABETH WOODSON.
viii. JUDITH WOODSON.
4. ix. MARY WOODSON.
Generation No. 3
3. JOHN3 WOODSON (ROBERT2, JOHN1). He married JUDITH TARLETON.
Children of John Woodson and Judith Tarleton are:
i. JOSIAH4 WOODSON.
ii. ELIZABETH WOODSON.
iii. JUDITH WOODSON.
iv. TARLETON WOODSON.
v. JOHN WOODSON.
5. vi. STEPHEN WOODSON, b. 1704, Goochland County, Virginia; d. January 18, 1735/36, Goochland Co., Virginia.
vii. JACOB WOODSON.
viii. ROBERT WOODSON.
4. MARY3 WOODSON (ROBERT2, JOHN1). She married GEORGE PAYNE 1704.
Children of Mary Woodson and George Payne are:
6. i. ROBERT4 PAYNE.
7. ii. JOSIAS PAYNE, b. October 30, 1705, Goochland, VA; d. 1785, Pittsylvan, VA.
8. iii. GEORGE PAYNE, b. November 21, 1707; d. March 15, 1784.
9. iv. JOHN PAYNE, b. December 04, 1713; d. July 28, 1784, Goochland, VA.
Generation No. 4
5. STEPHEN4 WOODSON (JOHN3, ROBERT2, JOHN1) was born 1704 in Goochland County, Virginia, and died January 18, 1735/36 in Goochland Co., Virginia. He married ELIZABETH BRANCH November 02, 1730 in Devonshire, England, daughter of Matthew Branch and Francis Ware.
Children of Stephen Woodson and Elizabeth Branch are:
i. MATTHEW5 WOODSON.
ii. ELIZABETH WOODSON.
iii. STEPHEN WOODSON.
6. ROBERT4 PAYNE (MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1). He married ?.
Child of Robert Payne and ? is:
i. AUGUSTINE5 PAYNE, b. 1738; d. 1758.
7. JOSIAS4 PAYNE (MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1) was born October 30, 1705 in Goochland, VA, and died 1785 in Pittsylvan, VA. He married ANNA FLEMING 1732.
Children of Josias Payne and Anna Fleming are:
10. i. AGNES5 PAYNE.
11. ii. ANNA PAYNE.
12. iii. WILLIAM PAYNE, SR., b. February 10, 1731/32, Goochland, VA; d. March 02, 1822, Fluvanna, VA.
13. iv. GEORGE PAYNE, b. 1734; d. September 13, 1807.
14. v. JOSIAS PAYNE, JR., b. 1735.
15. vi. SUSANNA PAYNE, b. 1737.
16. vii. ROBERT PAYNE, b. 1738; d. 1791.
17. viii. JOHN PAYNE, b. 1740; d. 1792.
8. GEORGE4 PAYNE (MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1) was born November 21, 1707, and died March 15, 1784. He married JUDITH BURTON, daughter of Robert Burton and Pricilla ?.
Children of George Payne and Judith Burton are:
18. i. JESSE5 PAYNE, d. April 15, 1771.
ii. MARY PAYNE, m. JOHN SHELTON, September 01, 1772, Goochland, VA.
19. iii. ANN PAYNE.
iv. MATTHEW PAYNE, m. SALLY PRYOR, May 04, 1773, Goochland, VA.
20. v. GEORGE M. PAYNE, b. July 09, 1743; d. May 13, 1831.
21. vi. ROBERT BURTON PAYNE, b. 1751; d. March 03, 1788.
vii. JOSEPH PAYNE, b. March 23, 1758; d. 1826; m. ANN VANCLIEF, 1779, New York.
22. viii. ELIZABETH PAYNE, b. September 19, 1760.
ix. RICHARD PAYNE, b. April 29, 1765; d. 1774.
9. JOHN4 PAYNE (MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1) was born December 04, 1713, and died July 28, 1784 in Goochland, VA. He married (1) ? ?. He married (2) JANE SMITH June 23, 1757.
Children of John Payne and ? ? are:
23. i. JOHN5 PAYNE, d. December 12, 1795.
ii. ROBERT PAYNE, d. October 31, 1770.
24. iii. ARCHER PAYNE, b. 1748.
Children of John Payne and Jane Smith are:
25. iv. ANN5 PAYNE, b. October 07, 1758.
26. v. PHILLIP PAYNE, b. March 29, 1760; d. July 07, 1840.
27. vi. JEAN PAYNE, b. April 30, 1762.
28. vii. JOHN SMITH PAYNE, b. June 18, 1764.
viii. GEORGE WOODSON PAYNE, b. October 09, 1767; d. 1847; m. MARY CLAIBORNE DANDRIDGE.
ix. MILDRED MATTHEWS PAYNE, b. March 27, 1769; d. 1784.
29. x. ROBERT PAYNE, b. October 03, 1770.
xi. ELIZABETH WOODSON PAYNE, b. November 26, 1772; d. 1784.
Generation No. 5
10. AGNES5 PAYNE (JOSIAS4, MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1). She married WILLIAM MITCHELL October 1749 in Goochland, VA, son of Archelaus Mitchell and ?.
Child of Agnes Payne and William Mitchell is:
30. i. MARY6 MITCHELL.
11. ANNA5 PAYNE (JOSIAS4, MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1). She married WILLIAM HARRISON December 27, 1763 in Goochland, VA.
Children of Anna Payne and William Harrison are:
i. NATHANIEL6 HARRISON.
ii. WILLIAM PORTER HARRISON.
iii. JANE HARRISON, m. HENRY STONE.
iv. ANN PAYNE HARRISON, m. DANIEL COLEMAN.
v. POLLY DILLARD HARRISON, m. E. WALTERS.
vi. ROBERT HARRISON, b. June 29, 1766.
31. vii. SUSANNA HARRISON, b. June 22, 1768.
12. WILLIAM5 PAYNE, SR. (JOSIAS4, MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1) was born February 10, 1731/32 in Goochland, VA, and died March 02, 1822 in Fluvanna, VA. He married MARY BARRETT March 06, 1755, daughter of ? Barrett and Sarah Womack.
Children of William Payne and Mary Barrett are:
i. ANN6 PAYNE, b. September 18, 1759.
ii. SARAH PAYNE, b. December 09, 1760.
32. iii. JAMES PAYNE, b. April 25, 1763; d. March 20, 1825.
33. iv. SUSANNA PAYNE, b. January 1767.
34. v. ANN PAYNE, b. April 16, 1770.
35. vi. SARAH PAYNE, b. December 19, 1772.
36. vii. ELIZABETH BARRETT PAYNE, b. November 09, 1775; d. 1851.
37. viii. BARRETT GOODSON PAYNE, b. December 23, 1778; d. September 26, 1853.
38. ix. WILLIAM PAYNE, b. March 08, 1782; d. June 30, 1858.
13. GEORGE5 PAYNE (JOSIAS4, MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1) was born 1734, and died September 13, 1807. He married AGATHA GEORGE December 26, 1754, daughter of James George and Agatha Watts.
Children of George Payne and Agatha George are:
i. AGATHA6 PAYNE, m. JOHN SMITHER, January 23, 1785.
ii. JESSE PAYNE, b. March 14, 1756; d. 1789; m. SALLY ?.
39. iii. ANNA PAYNE, b. April 25, 1762.
iv. MARY WATTS PAYNE, b. January 29, 1771.
40. v. SUSANNA WOODSON PAYNE, b. April 01, 1775; d. March 18, 1838.
vi. WILLIAM GEORGE PAYNE, b. April 24, 1777.
14. JOSIAS5 PAYNE, JR. (JOSIAS4, MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1) was born 1735. He married ELIZABETH FLEMING August 23, 1755 in Goochland, VA, daughter of Tarleton Fleming and Mary Randolph.
Children of Josias Payne and Elizabeth Fleming are:
41. i. TARLETON6 PAYNE, b. February 21, 1758; d. August 10, 1817, Goochland, VA.
ii. SALLY PAYNE, b. September 16, 1759.
iii. JOSIAS PAYNE III, b. April 25, 1761; d. 1821, Albemarle, VA; m. SARAH DICKINSON.
iv. FLEMING PAYNE, b. June 26, 1766.
v. CHARLES FLEMING PAYNE, b. January 08, 1768; m. POLLY ADAMS, January 12,1788.
vi. ELIZABETH CHICHESTER PAYNE, b. November 29, 1769; m. WILLIAM PAYNE.
15. SUSANNA5 PAYNE (JOSIAS4, MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1) was born 1737.
She married WILLIAM SMITH HEALE June 26, 1771, son of George Heale and Sarah Smith.
Children of Susanna Payne and William Heale are:
i. SARAH6 HEALE, b. July 11, 1772.
ii. JOHN HEALE, b. January 01, 1775.
iii. WILLIAM PAYNE HEALE, b. 1777; m. ELEANOR HARRISON, 1810.
16. ROBERT5 PAYNE (JOSIAS4, MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1) was born 1738, and died 1791. He married ANN BURTON July 22, 1762 in Goochland, VA, daughter of Robert Burton and Pricilla ?.
Children of Robert Payne and Ann Burton are:
i. CHARLES6 PAYNE.
ii. JOHN PAYNE.
iii. MARY WOODSON PAYNE.
iv. AGNES PAYNE, m. (1) ROBERT HARRIS, February 21, 1795; m. (2) MARMADUKE WILLIAMS, December 25, 1798.
v. ELIZABETH PAYNE, b. March 31, 1763; m. ? SAUNDERS.
vi. KETURAH PAYNE, b. January 02, 1765.
vii. ANN PAYNE, b. November 13, 1766; m. ? HARRISON.
42. viii. ROBERT PAYNE, b. November 1768; d. January 16, 1830.
17. JOHN5 PAYNE (JOSIAS4, MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1) was born 1740, and died 1792. He married MARY COLES, daughter of William Coles and Lucy Winston.
Children of John Payne and Mary Coles are:
i. PHILADELPHIA6 PAYNE, b. Philadelph, Pennsylvania.
ii. LUCY PAYNE, m. (1) GEORGE STEPTOE WASHINGTON, 1792; m. (2) THOMAS TODD, March 29, 1812.
iii. MARY PAYNE, d. 1807; m. JOHN G. JACKSON, 1801.
iv. ISAAC PAYNE.
43. v. ANNA PAYNE, b. 1759; d. August 04, 1832.
vi. WALTER PAYNE, b. 1762.
vii. WILLIAM TEMPLE PAYNE, b. 1766.
44. viii. DOROTHEA PAYNE, b. May 20, 1768; d. 1855.
45. ix. JOHN COLES PAYNE, b. 1782.
18. JESSE5 PAYNE (GEORGE4, MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1) died April 15, 1771. He married FRANCES MORTON 1768.
Children of Jesse Payne and Frances Morton are:
i. GEORGE MORTON6 PAYNE, b. June 28, 1768; m. ? JOHNSON.
ii. RICHARD BAYLOR PAYNE, b. September 10, 1769.
iii. JESSE BURTON PAYNE, b. June 27, 1771; m. JEAN MORGAN, June 13, 1795.
19. ANN5 PAYNE (GEORGE4, MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1). She married SACKVILLE KING, son of Thomas King and Sarah ?.
Children of Ann Payne and Sackville King are:
i. DUNCAN6 KING.
46. ii. ANN KING.
20. GEORGE M.5 PAYNE (GEORGE4, MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1) was born July 09, 1743, and died May 13, 1831. He married BETTY MCCARTY MORTON December 31, 1765, daughter of Joseph Morton and ? ?.
Children of George Payne and Betty Morton are:
47. i. MARGARET B.6 PAYNE.
48. ii. ELIZABETH MCCARTY PAYNE.
49. iii. JONATHAN S. PAYNE.
50. iv. JUDITH BURTON PAYNE, b. September 1769; d. October 29, 1850.
v. MARY BARNES PAYNE, b. August 27, 1772; m. JOHN CHICHESTER PAYNE.
vi. LUCY HUBARD PAYNE, b. May 14, 1777; d. July 05, 1857.
vii. MATTHEW MOUNTJOY PAYNE, b. January 17, 1784; d. 1862.
21. ROBERT BURTON5 PAYNE (GEORGE4, MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1) was born 1751, and died March 03, 1788. He married MARGARET SYDENHAM MORTON December 22, 1773 in Goochland, VA, daughter of Joseph Morton and Margaret Beckwith.
Children of Robert Payne and Margaret Morton are:
i. LUCY MORTON6 PAYNE.
ii. ELIZA B. PAYNE, m. WILLIAM J. STONE, November 01, 1802.
iii. JOSEPH PAYNE.
iv. ANN PAYNE.
51. v. RICHARD BECKWITH PAYNE, b. August 09, 1775; d. September 08, 1858.
vi. ROBERT BURTON PAYNE, b. July 03, 1778.
52. vii. MOLLY JORDAN PAYNE, b. August 21, 1780.
53. viii. MARGARET SYDENHAM PAYNE, b. 1789.
22. ELIZABETH5 PAYNE (GEORGE4, MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1) was born September 19, 1760. She married SAMUEL WOODSON June 19, 1777 in Goochland, VA.
Children of Elizabeth Payne and Samuel Woodson are:
i. SALLY PLEASANT6 WOODSON, m. WARNER LEWIS, June 07, 1798.
54. ii. ROBERT HUGHES WOODSON, d. 1806.
iii. SAMUEL WOODSON.
iv. JUDITH PAYNE WOODSON, m. ROBERT PLEASANTS, December 17, 1812.
v. FIELDING WOODSON.
55. vi. ELIZABETH WOODSON.
vii. GEORGE TUCKER WOODSON.
23. JOHN5 PAYNE (JOHN4, MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1) died December 12, 1795. He married (1) MARGARET JONES. He married (2) MARY ANN CHICHESTER January 16, 1762, daughter of Richard Chichester and Ellen Ball.
Children of John Payne and Mary Chichester are:
i. JOHN CHICHESTER6 PAYNE, b. February 05, 1767; m. MARY BARNES PAYNE.
ii. ANNA BALL PAYNE, b. February 16, 1769.
iii. MARY CHICHESTER PAYNE, b. 1770.
iv. MOLLY PAYNE, b. April 03, 1774.
24. ARCHER5 PAYNE (JOHN4, MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1) was born 1748. He married (1) MARTHA DANDRIDGE 1769, daughter of Nathaniel Dandridge and Dorothea Spotswood. He married (2) BETSY BROOKS December 07, 1797, daughter of Thomas Brooks and ?.
Children of Archer Payne and Martha Dandridge are:
56. i. JANE S.6 PAYNE, d. 1806.
57. ii. CATHERINE PAYNE.
58. iii. JOHN ROBERT DANDRIDGE PAYNE.
iv. JOHN DANDRIDGE PAYNE, b. November 20, 1770.
59. v. ANN SPOTSWOOD PAYNE, b. April 19, 1772.
60. vi. MARTHA PAYNE, b. November 08, 1773.
vii. ARCHER PAYNE, b. November 29, 1775.
61. viii. DOROTHEA DANDRIDGE PAYNE, b. July 10, 1777.
62. ix. ALEXANDER SPOTSWOOD PAYNE, b. October 20, 1780; d. 1859.
x. ELIZABETH PAYNE, b. October 29, 1782.
xi. AMERICA PAYNE, b. November 05, 1786.
25. ANN5 PAYNE (JOHN4, MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1) was born October 07, 1758. She married JAMES GORDON June 30, 1774 in Goochland, VA.
Children of Ann Payne and James Gordon are:
i. JAMES HARRISON6 GORDON.
ii. ANN GORDON.
26. PHILLIP5 PAYNE (JOHN4, MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1) was born March 29, 1760, and died July 07, 1840. He married ELIZABETH DANDRIDGE November 13, 1783, daughter of Nathaniel Dandridge and Dorothea Spotswood.
Children of Phillip Payne and Elizabeth Dandridge are:
i. ELIZABETH DANDRIDGE6 PAYNE, m. (1) ROBERT W. NOWLIN; m. (2) ORTHODOX CREED CLARK.
ii. JANE PAYNE, b. October 29, 1784.
63. iii. JOHN SMITH PAYNE, b. June 26, 1786.
iv. ELIZABETH SPOTSWOOD PAYNE, b. July 08, 1788.
64. v. NATHANIEL WEST PAYNE, b. April 11, 1790.
vi. PHILIP M. PAYNE, b. May 29, 1790; d. April 05, 1872.
vii. MARY CLAIBORNE PAYNE, b. December 11, 1796.
viii. BALDWIN MATTHEWS PAYNE, b. December 11, 1796; m. CATHERINE THOMPSON COLES, 1827.
65. ix. ANN S. PAYNE, b. February 18, 1799.
x. EVALINA WASHINGTON PAYNE, b. February 24, 1801; m. EDWARD BALL WITHERS.
xi. ELVIRA HENRY PAYNE, b. 1805.
xii. CAMILLA WEST PAYNE, b. March 20, 1805; m. SAMUEL MCGREGOR SCOTT.
xiii. CLARISSA ELLIOTT PAYNE, b. March 1809; m. ROBERT WYATT.
xiv. LOUISA WOODSON PAYNE, b. October 11, 1811; m. JOHN COLES.
27. JEAN5 PAYNE (JOHN4, MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1) was born April 30, 1762. She married WILLIAM LEE September 28, 1789 in Goochland, VA.
Children of Jean Payne and William Lee are:
i. JEAN6 LEE.
66. ii. LOUISA LEE.
iii. HARRIOTT LEE.
28. JOHN SMITH5 PAYNE (JOHN4, MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1) was born June 18, 1764. He married (1) ? IRVING. He married (2) MARGARET B. PAYNE May 14, 1787 in Goochland, VA, daughter of George Payne and Betty Morton.
Children of John Payne and ? Irving are:
i. CAROLINE6 PAYNE.
ii. SIDNEY PAYNE.
Children of John Payne and Margaret Payne are:
iii. BALDWIN MATTHEW6 PAYNE.
iv. JOHN A. PAYNE, m. ANN W. ?.
67. v. SUSAN WOODSON PAYNE.
68. vi. GEORGE MORTON PAYNE, b. 1795; d. 1858.
29. ROBERT5 PAYNE (JOHN4, MARY3 WOODSON, ROBERT2, JOHN1) was born October 03, 1770. He married ELIZABETH MCCARTY PAYNE February 26, 1800 in Goochland, VA, daughter of George Payne and Betty Morton.
Children of Robert Payne and Elizabeth Payne are:
i. LAVINIA6 PAYNE.
ii. LAURA MATILDA PAYNE.